Ancient treatise “The Narrative of Hatha yoga” states that the habit to practice yoga every day is the main criteria of success on the way to understanding yoga.
But what they mean with the word “habit”?
A habit is a set behaviour patterns that are repeated regularly and in certain circumstances becomes the requirement for the person. From the scientific point of view habits can develop spontaneously, be a result of the upbringing, develop into permanent aspects of personality or become as a reflex. As people usually understand it for them the habit is associated with lack of freedom: inertness of behaviour and thinking, tendency to a certain pattern of actions, drilling the same thing over and over.
However the treatise gives to the following statement: “Negative habits are serving a bad trick – they are our worst enemy. But Shiva in his mercy gave asanas to people; and when we form a habit to practice these asanas, they bring the supreme good into our life and a freedom after all”.
What is the use of daily yoga practice?
Yoga exercises are extremely useful for the body, as they engage different types of muscles, work on joints and ligaments, provide the required daily load of physical exercises for the body that is insufficient in the modern life style, and release any excessive tension.
The regular practice will bring harmony into our everyday life and will help to fill it with peace, give strength and energy for the creative work. A person can make achievements in different activities due to these internal changes: knowing how to get rid of the bad habits and form the new beneficial ones.
How to form a habit to practice yoga?
The main condition for successful yoga practice is to enjoy it:
- experience joy when performing the exercises,
- to be happy from overcoming yourself and making some effort,
- to enjoy the resting time.
Then the habit to practice regularly will be formed easily. And it will last for many years, as the body will be eager to perform exercises.
It is essential to remember that the habit is formed slowly, step by step!
You will need some time to form a habit. Regular practicing sessions are required, even if they are not too long at the beginning, just once or twice a week. However, it is preferable to practice at the same time and place – this will help to set your mind for practice. Relaxed atmosphere is also very favourable.
A habit to practice yoga will let a person to forget about external factors and to get deep into inner senses, to become more mindful, providing that we remain kind and logical.
If you get stable positive results from the practice, it will not be necessary to push yourself in future. The practice will become a necessity. This is how a habit is formed.
Be happy by practicing yoga, form a habit!
Wishing you success in your practice!
Yours, Open Yoga
Author: Mariya Mamontova
Editors: А.Zlobin, М.Balmush.
Tranlated by Tatiana Sugrue
Project curator: А.Zlobin
- If you want to study Yoga FREE OF CHARGE, at your own pace, please enroll in a free on-line Yoga course on our website OPENYOGACLASS.COM or YOGAOPENYOGA.COM .
- If you want to get an additional profession and become a yoga instructor and teach yoga both in English and Russian, please join our preparatory group of the yoga teacher training course. You can find all the details on our website: OPENYOGACLASS.COM
- If you don’t know what is yoga, but wish to learn, there are many review materials on over 30 types of Yoga on the website OPENYOGA.RU .
- The schedule of all Open Yoga projects is on the website OPENYOGA.RU under Calendar section.
- If you wish to purchase a HARD COPY of the journal, please write to E-mail Zubakovu@gmail.com
- Here is the list of subjects for the articles (in Russian).
- If you want to SUPPORT popularisation of yoga, please sign up to our groups in social network and make re-posts to let the maximum number of people find out about Open Yoga.
- Address your questions to the email OpenYogaJournal@gmail.com